[dba-Tech] Re: RAID definitions etc

JMoss jmoss111 at bellsouth.net
Sat May 15 16:57:07 CDT 2004

I don't build a lot of servers or workstations, but almost everything that I
sell has RAID on board, it's just too cheap an insurance policy not to
utilize, and so easy to recover in case a drive fails. You can easily lose a
day if the sole hard driver craps out, with RAID you're down maybe 10 - 15
minutes, then add another hour when rebuilding the array. It makes a lot of
sense especially when considering that all of the drive manufacturers have
dropped their warranty from three years to one year. The steep warranty
period decrease speaks loudly to me.