[dba-Tech] Microsoft Software Update Services (SUS)

Haslett, Andrew andrew.haslett at ilc.gov.au
Wed May 26 03:40:47 CDT 2004

The 'special update client' you speak of is already included in Windows XP
SP1 and Windows 2000 SP3, so requires no installation in many environments.

In environments where this is required it can be deployed through a simple
group policy object (easy) or login scripts (not quite as easy, but commonly
used in non-AD environments)

I've seen language related problems you have reported once or twice in the
forums, but from memory it may have been fixed in SP1.  If not I'm sure a
fix would have been discussed in the past.  I'd be happy to discuss the
problem OL if you're still considering implementing it.

The main advantage of SUS is not in saving bandwidth, but offering the
ability for clients to automatically update themselves with little or no
interaction from network admins - while having control over what updates
actually get installed (which you can't do by just setting clients to grab
all updates automatically from WindowsUpdate).

Sys-Admins should always perform at least some minimal tests on updates
before deploying them to a network.

Our corporation and many others have implemented this system and swear by
it, and you can't beat the price (free).

Cheers,
Andrew