[dba-Tech] NT account problem

Jon Tydda Jon.Tydda at alcontrol.co.uk
Fri May 28 09:19:32 CDT 2004

Hi all... bit of a strange one here.

We have two pc's that are exclusively used for internet access here. Until
this week, they had Win2K SP2 on them, and no further updates. After our
recent bout with Sasser, I've managed to upgradeone to SP4, IE6 sp1 and
apply all the microsoft updates to it. The other one is defying everything I
throw at it...

First of all it won't see the network. The domain is available to log on to
in the log-in screen, but when you try with a valid account, it says that
the comupter does not have an account on the domain (but it does on the
server), so you can't log on using a Domain admin account. I have the local
admin password, but things are locked out, so I can't get into the network
settings to remove the pc from the domain, power cycle it, then add it back
again. I've tried doing it from the server, to no avail. I can't get into
much at all, except gpedit.msc, and mmc, a lot of which isn't locked out...
does anyone know any way that I can get in and service pack this pc so we
don't get re-infected with anything? I'm really starting to seriously think
about chucking it out of a window...

Oh, reinstalling the OS isn't an option either - it has no CD-ROM, and can't
see any network shares :-(

Jon

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available on request from : webmaster at alcontrol.co.uk
ALcontrol Laboratories is a trading division of ALcontrol UK Limited.
Registered Office: Templeborough House, Mill Close, Rotherham, S60 1BZ.
Registered in England and Wales No 4057291