[dba-Tech] MS Excel COM Add-In in VB.NET...

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Mon Nov 1 03:23:01 CST 2004

> But what is the difference between two or three add-ins and one -
> except that if one only it must hold more code?
Gustav,

You can package them two or three of four or ... together - and sell them
for different price for your customers...
And it's easier (at least for me) to manage such code - the specific
features for each add-in are in its own .dll, common are in a common .dll
etc.

> it simply the size
> of an add-in that - when growing - causes the add-in to act more and
> more unreliably?
In MS Excel 2003 is takes 6 to 10 seconds to save the code on ~2GHz/1GB RAM
PC when I just click [Save] button.
And because the more code you put in it the less stable it becomes you have
to click [Save] often (of have AutoSave) - all that makes development a
crazy process especially when you forget to click [Save] and your add-in
GPFed...

In VB.NET it autosaves the code each time you run the Add-in and it takes
nothing to wait the compile.

And VB.NET's autocompile is just incredible - very quick, very useful: you
just see the list of errors in the task list, use F8 to switch between them
and code window follows these switching and as soon as you correct the
problem it's task list entry is removed...

Shamil