[dba-Tech] Ipod

Drew Wutka dbatech at wolfwares.com
Mon Nov 1 15:06:39 CST 2004

Go iRiver.

I read recently it is iPod's biggest competitor, even though it has a much
smaller market share.

When I went out looking for mp3 players, I went to Best Buy, and took a look
at what they had. (This was about 2 years ago).  Almost everything I saw
looked close to the $2 per meg level (if you were getting solid
state.....versus a hard drive, didn't see any harddrive ones, but they are
cheaper on space).  The iRiver was closer to the $1 per meg level.  I ended
up with an iRiver with 128 megs of space.

http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/iFP-180t.aspx

Their site has it at $99 right now, but it was $140 when I first bought it.

I think I got a deal.  I love it.  First, it's very durable (though I must
admit, the battery 'latch' busted on me, but I just put a little peice of
tape to hold it closed....not really necessary unless I am walking with it
dangling from my neck).  It is both an mp3 player, FM radio, and recorder
(it can record with it's internal microphone, or record from the radio).
Runs on 1 AA battery, for about 20 hours (I've had it run about 26 to 30
hours on the e squared energizers, and I get about 16 hours out of the
REALLY cheap batteries I get from Big Lots (about $1.75 for a pack of 4).).

The only feature I didn't really like, is that it uses a proprietary cable
(USB on one end, special connection on the other).  You can use it's 128
megs as a plain old file transfer memory stick, but to do that, you need the
cable in both places, so you either carry the cable, or buy a second cable.
When I first got mine, they didn't have extra cables available yet, they do
now, but it's a moot point, since I can transfer data from home to work at
screaming speeds now.

Drew