[dba-Tech] Converting LPs into digital audio

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Wed Nov 17 08:22:22 CST 2004

Yes to both questions.

If it is an pre-amp intended for recordplayers it is almost certain with
RIAA.
If it has no RIAA correction you will not hear much bass in the music,
but you will hear music.
Bass sound is reduced with 20Db before putting on vinyl, so it would fit
on to the vinyl.
Thats why you need an RIAA correction to increase the bass sounds with
20db (I believe its 20Db).
A low quality RIAA correction can have an offsett on the cut-off
frequency or increase more or less than 20Db.
A turntable cell has an output of 1m volt or less. A line input/output
has 10 m volt or even more. A microphone has also 1m volt, but the RIAA
correction is not there so, you wont hear much of bass.

You can also connect your turntable to a Phono entry of a Mixer or
amplifier end connect the output of those to your pc.
It is my believe you will posibly get more noise that way. So I rather
would use a quality RIAA pre-amp.

Moving coil or Moving magnet. Thats also an important one, you should
check the type of Cell you have on your turntable and set the pre-amp
accordingly.

greetz