[dba-Tech] NT4 problem

Jon Tydda Jon.Tydda at alcontrol.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 06:42:43 CST 2004

Hi all

got a small problem with an NT4 pc.

It was left on my desk with a recovery disk and a note telling me that there
was a problem with boot up, and that the recovery disk wasn't working. So I
turned it on, and sure enough, there was a problem with boot-up. Apparently
Display.dll is missing or corrupt. So I went to bootdisk.com and downloaded
a set of bootdisk images, which I've extracted to 3 floppies. I booted off
the floppies, and when it asks me for the NT4 cd, I put one in, but it
wouldn't read it, and the CD drive made lots of funky noises. So I replaced
the CD drive, and tried again. That didn't work either - didn't spin the
disk up or anything. I replaced it again, and this one spins the disk up,
but refuses to recognise the cd is an install disk. So I made a copy of the
CD, which also doesn't work.

Short of putting the hard drive into another box as a slave, is there
anything I can do to get it working again? It's not on the network either,
so that's another problem.

Jon

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available on request from : webmaster at alcontrol.co.uk
ALcontrol Laboratories is a trading division of ALcontrol UK Limited.
Registered Office: Templeborough House, Mill Close, Rotherham, S60 1BZ.
Registered in England and Wales No 4057291