[dba-Tech] Just loaded Linux for the first time

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 11:53:28 CDT 2004

my 2 cents.  I have been playing w/ Linux on an off for a little bit
now.  I need to spend more time on it to really become profeccient.

On the comment you made about bittorrent, yes it IS a P2P application,
it does not function like any other P2P application out there.  You'd
have to visit the main website to find out more, but amongst my
favorite bittorrent clients are Bit Tornado.

in the case of the Xandros distro, it works to help alleviate
bandwidth for the provider.

They make the file available on the bittorrent network, using their
tracker, which in turn keeps a tab on who is downloaing at the moment.
 It is used to figure out where the demands are for the file.  There
are Seeders and Peers on the network, a peer is a computer that does
not have the complete ISO.  A seed is a computer w/ the completed IS
downloaded.  The tracker is the cop if you will, that monitors how
many packets you have, and if any other peer on the network requires
that block of data.  if it does and you have it, it will share that
block (for the ISO only not any other file).  Round and round it goes
until all peers on the network become seeds and therefore have a
complete copy of the ISO.

Bittorrent is such a great distribution option that I wish it would be
used more often.  The results of a good Bittorrent network is that you
get to download at the maximum bandwidth avialable to you.  so instead
of only getting a slow 40kb/s you may see things around 150kb/s or
faster depending on your b/w and the b/w of the bittorent network.

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:42:08 +0100, Mark Breen <mark.breen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Gustav,
>
> I am currently downloaded Knoppix as I type,
>
> I did visit the Xandros website but it appeared that the only way to
> download for free was to use some software named bitware.  This sounds
> like a kind of Peer to Peer system, which I am reluctant to install
> for obvious reasons.
>
> I did not look into purchasing the CD from Xandros, as I presume that
> I can or will find a site that I can download a harddisk installable
> version.
>
> Do you think that Xandros is worth ordering and paying for or will I
> keep looking for a easily aquireable version?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark
>

> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 09:02:10 +0200, Gustav Brock <gustav at cactus.dk> wrote:
> > Hi Mark
> >
> > If you are looking for Linux on the desktop, Xandros may be more what
> > you are after:
> >
> >  http://www.xandros.com/
> >
> > /gustav
> >

> > > I just loaded Mandrake Linux for the first time.

-Francisco