[dba-Tech] Desktop recommendation

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Oct 19 10:19:13 CDT 2004

Building is always a good idea.  You might not be able to put a new mb in
that chassis (HP used to design their stuff to prevent that) but if you buy
an inexpensive case you can use the drives and stuff from the old machine in
your new machine.  You already have a monitor / keyboard.  The new
motherboards have almost everything else.  You can even find motherboards
with a video chip on the mb.  Good enough to get you by, perhaps forever.

I just bought a state-of-the-art motherboard for $75
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-219&depa=0

an AMD Athlon64 2800 for $140
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-452&depa=0

512mb ram for about $70
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-219&depa=0

This MB required a video card so I used a low end ATI 9000 which ran $40.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-386&depa=0

And finally a very nice case (you can get them cheaper but this one will
last) for $70
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-122&depa=0

$400, your own drives and monitor and a little work gets you a
STATE-OF-THE-ART system (well, except for the video which still is better
than the eMachines), particularly if you are already planning on installing
your own OS.

http://folding.stanford.edu/