[dba-Tech] Desktop recommendation

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Oct 19 14:21:30 CDT 2004

Gustav,

I have purchased exactly one machine in my whole life, a zeos 386-20 back in
1988.  Since that time I have always either upgraded or built from scratch.
I have experience paying too much money for not enough machine.  I also have
experience building much more powerful machines than I can afford to buy
from the IBMs of this world.  It sounds like you don't have experience on
both sides of that fence.

Building certainly isn't for everyone, and from talking with my friends in
Europe, building isn't as cost effective over there anyway.  But in the US
it can be a great way to save thousands of dollars.  I do not build systems
for clients, I send them to Dell or someplace similar, but that doesn't mean
I have to do that.

Contrary to popular belief, building a system, even from scratch is NOT a
tough job.  Of course I spend time researching what I want, processors,
chipsets, motherboards, video cards etc. but I find that satisfying.  I read
reviews on all the pieces and I carefully select those vendors that I have
high confidence in.  OTOH, don't you do the same when you go to buy a
prebuilt system?

It is no doubt a little scary to spend $600 on a bunch of parts, that first
time you do it.  Opening the boxes, wondering if it is going to work when it
is put together.  But the actual building is simply not difficult.  I have
done this since 1990 (and even back in the late 70s and early 80s when I
actually BUILT (from scratch, soldering iron in hand) the pieces and parts).
In the latest round of updates, I built from scratch or upgraded 3 machines
and out of all the parts I purchased, one DIMM memory was bad and had to be
sent back.  I can't remember ever RMAing a part since I moved back to the US
from Mexico other than that one.  This stuff is so simple that young
teenagers do it.

In this case I would say YOU get what you pay for.  I get MORE than I pay
for, which is exactly the reason I do it and I highly recommend doing this.

http://folding.stanford.edu/