[dba-Tech] Desktop recommendation

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 14:24:44 CDT 2004

I'll chime in w/ my 2 cents.

I do agree w/ JC in that building your own pc will yield far better
results than that of a pre-built system from any of the big guys.  And
again he's not saying that you gotta slap togheter whatever you find
first over at compUSA or bestbuys.  No.  You do have to do some
research, after all you *should* be aware of your hardware.

Building my own system, 2years running, I have a PC that I do not have
to shut off, I double it as an FTP server so I can send and received
packages from it.

IBM makes fine machines, but you'll pay more and not come close to
what you can put together yourself.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:43:43 -0500, John Bartow <john at winhaven.net> wrote:
> Dittos.
>
> Build one if you enjoy that kind of thing otherwise buy a quality
> workstation.
>
> My main workstation is a W4000 which I refer to as my "screaming meemy" Cost
> a bit more than the average stock of the day but it still holds it own
> against many of the PCs I see come through here.
>
> John

-Francisco