[dba-Tech] Cross posted - Folding at home

Haslett, Andrew andrew.haslett at ilc.gov.au
Wed Oct 20 23:07:38 CDT 2004

Another good one:

http://www.grid.org/home.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: John W. Colby [mailto:jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com]
Sent: Monday, 4 October 2004 4:15 AM
To: AccessD; SQLServer; VBA; Tech - Database Advisors Inc.
Subject: [dba-Tech] Cross posted - Folding at home

I just wanted to call everyone's attention to Folding at home.  I know a lot of
you know about this project, I did and got involved for awhile (through
Google's team I think) but over time forgot about it.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Folding at home is a project by Stanford University which essentially builds a
mega super computer created by using our home / office computers to form a
huge network capable of thousands of times more processing power than even
the largest dedicated super computers.

http://folding.stanford.edu/stats.html

Will take you directly to a page where you can see some statistics for the
supercomputer as it exists at this instant in time.

This system downloads an executable onto a computer which runs in the idle
thread.  This means that while the CPU utilized jumps to 100%, it is all
idle time ad if your programs need CPU cycles folding at home will not
interfere with your program in any way.

I had 4 3ghz computers sitting in my home office doing nothing.  They are
now contributing to mankind's knowledgebase.

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ ********************
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may
contain information protected by law from disclosure.
immediately and delete this email from your system.
No warranty is given that this email or files, if attached to this
email, are free from computer viruses or other defects. They
are provided on the basis the user assumes all responsibility for
loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from
their use, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.