[dba-Tech] Novell Suse Linux Enterprise Server

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Fri Oct 22 12:06:48 CDT 2004

I just installed this on my oldest and trustiest box, and WOW. I've
installed some previous Suses as well as Mandrake and RedHat, and IMO
Novell has done its homework on this baby. Lots of stuff that was a
hassle before is all installed and configured automatically. Samba was
already installed and configured and once I supplied passwords I could
get to every other box on the network -- Windows XP boxes, Win2K boxes,
and 2 other Linux boxes. For some reason Mandrake had trouble with my
network card, pretty much a standard Ethernet card, but Suse had no
problem.

Once it was running I even played some music that was sitting on a
Windows box. Then I burned a CD from an ISO and then a DVD, no problem!
No futzing about, just dropped in the media and clicked, dragged and
dropped and I was away to the races.

Linux installs get better and better, but I must say this one is the
best I have seen to date. Not that I've tried every single version of
every single distro, but this one is a dazzler. Now I just have to
install a few packages that weren't on the CDs and I'm away to the races!

Arthur