[dba-Tech] Calculator

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Thu Sep 2 09:30:51 CDT 2004

Jon,

>> If you hold shift and right click on an icon, it brings up a different context menu, with an entry labelled "Run as". <<

I didn't know that one, though I've seen that dialog pop up at various times. Thanks for the tip.

This chopped off window thing has actually affected other stuff. I haven't noticed it yet in Windows XP, but there were a number of times in Win 2000 when I'd be installing a Microsoft program and the dialog boxes would be truncated: I'd only see about 1/2 of the dialog, the upper-left quadrant. So I couldn't see any command buttons nor radio buttons. I run my monitor at 1152 x 864, so sometimes I'd be able to proceed normally if I lowered the resolution and re-logged in as Administrator.

But this calculator thing has followed me over to XP. I do a fair amount of decimal-to-hex conversion when I'm coding web pages by hand and it's become a bit tedious to type in the decimal number blindly and then copy and paste the hex result into my editor.

Is this something, maybe, to do with the video driver?

Steve