[dba-Tech] KVMs (was Calculator)

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Fri Sep 3 09:48:14 CDT 2004

I actually have two - my PS2 model is use an Edimax Genie 4 port and my new
USB model is a IOGear Extreme 4 port. USB peripherals and sound systems can
be shared with that one too.

I've used other PS2 brands in the past at various jobs and they all seemed
to work as advertised. I've used them with pin converters on the PCs and
various OSs but never Suse.

I don't know why it wouldn't work because the KVM sends the appropriate
signals to all powered on machines irregardless if you're actually using
that machine or not so that the OS thinks the equipment is there. I suppose
it could be an issue though. Every now and then when I hot key over to a PC
(via the PS2 model) the mouse doesn't work. I just hot key back and forth
again and it works. I've thought that maybe I just didn't hot key quite
right (as I get a bit lazy on how hard I press the keys and sometimes it
doesn't even switch) Maybe my keyboard is just getting worn out there! I
probably need to change my hot key sequence to a function key or something.
Right now its Ctrl-Ctrl followed by the number or the KVM port. I could just
change it to F12 and make it easier on my tendons...