[dba-Tech] WXP Connecting Mobiles

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 08:39:52 CDT 2004

Hope someone can advise.

I seem to be getting involved more and more with Windows/Network admin
tasks, in which I have very little experience. But when your client asks,
you try to do, right? Anyway, don't answer that. The point is I think I'm
going to have a few questions which will no doubt be trivial to some of you,
so I hope someone can help.

Here's one. We have an NT4 network, and a mix of W98, W2K and WXP
workstations. We have a single domain. What is standard practice for setting
up a laptop (often physically here, often not, connects to network if here
but not otherwise)? Do I create a local profile AND a domain profile on that
machine? Is that normal? I think he has to have a domain profile when
connected to the network so we can do normal management-type things (update
AV defs), but is there another way round this that doesn't require two
profiles, and doesn't require the user to remember which to use when?

--
Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk