[dba-Tech] RE: Hotmail and Outlook 2k

Jon Tydda jon at tydda.plus.com
Wed Sep 8 14:58:30 CDT 2004

ah, found it...

http://www.slipstick.com/config/ol2000hotmail.htm

Follow these steps to configure the Hotmail account in Outlook Express, then
export it to Outlook 2000:

In Outlook Express, choose Tools | Accounts, and add a new mail account to
access your Hotmail account. If you do not already have a free Hotmail
account, you can use Tools | New Account Signup | Hotmail.

In the Accounts dialog box, select the Hotmail account, and then click
Export to save the account settings as an .iaf file.

In Outlook 2000, choose Tools | Accounts and click Import to import the
account settings file you exported in Step 2.

This places a Hotmail - Inbox icon on the Outlook Bar. In the folder list,
you will see a separate hierarchy for Hotmail, with the Bulk Mail, Deleted
Items, Inbox and Sent Items folders, plus any additional folders that you
created in your Hotmail mailbox.

You cannot send via your Hotmail account using Outlook 2000. You must use
one of your regular POP or IMAP accounts. You could, of course, set the
reply address for a POP account to use your Hotmail e-mail address.

You won't get any notification when new items are available in your Hotmail
account. Plan to use Tools | Download occasionally to get new items. Or just
click on the regular Outlook Inbox, then back on the Hotmail Inbox to update
the view with new items.

If you right-click on one of the Hotmail folders, Outlook will crash. Don't
expect this to be fixed, since Hotmail is officially unsupported in Outlook
2000. Just don't do it!

Exporting from a Hotmail folder to a PST file sometimes generates errors. If
you want to archive Hotmail messages, you may have better luck dragging them
to a folder in a PST file.

Outlook automatically adds the Download State column to the view for Hotmail
folders so you can tell which items are available when you are working
offline. Items marked with the full document sheet are stored offline. Items
marked with the half sheet are stored as headers only.

If you are working online, simply selecting a message will download it
automatically.

You can also use the commands on the Tools | Download menu to get headers,
all items or selected items.

The Hotmail account offline data is stored in a Personal Folders .pst file
named Hotmail-###.pst, where ### represents a number automatically assigned
by Outlook. The file should be in the usual location for your operating
system. If you remove the Hotmail account, Outlook automatically deletes the
PST file.

If you convert Outlook from Internet Mail Only to Corporate/Workgroup mode,
Outlook does not migrate the Hotmail account settings, but it does leave the
Hotmail-###.pst file intact. You can open it with the File | Open | Outlook
Data File command.

Jon