[dba-Tech] Hard Drive / Optical Drive Performance

Mitsules, Mark S. (Newport News) Mark.Mitsules at ngc.com
Wed Sep 15 06:59:51 CDT 2004

Group,

I am part of the controversial few who believe I should only have to pay for
something once whenever possible.  So, having 2 small children, and knowing
how much they care for their belongings, I make backups of my children's
DVDs.  Prior to my last clean install, my hardware was capable of making an
.iso of a ~9Gb DVD in about 20 minutes.  That same process now takes twice
as long.  Now my first thought was...oops I hooked up both drives to the
same IDE port.  Honestly, I have not 'physically' checked that possibility
(I will tonight), but according to the system info, they are on separate
channels.  I've also verified that DMA is enabled.  Is there any other
setting I may have overlooked?

Mark