[dba-Tech] Empty folders

Gary Kjos garykjos at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 09:57:23 CDT 2004

Yep, xcopy is part of the OS, been there for a long time. It's a tweaked up
version of the copy command.

I use a simple batch file that uses an xcopy command to back up my hard
drives to an external hard drive.

--------------------Start below (BackupToUSB.BAT)

cd \
xcopy c:\*.* I: /s /d /c /y

--------------------End above

The options I use are
/s = Do Subdirectorys (or FOLDERS for you youngsters)
/d = Copy only files newer than on the destination drive
/c = Continue even if an error occurs (I get a couple errors on files that
can't be copied sind they are in use)
/y = suppress prompting for "do you want to overwrite?" message (so it keeps
going)

Put a shortcut on my desktop to this batch file and I copy everything that
has changed since the last go around to the external whenever I want.

Gary Kjos
garykjos at hotmail.com