[dba-Tech] Re: [dba-Tech

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 10:42:01 CDT 2004

I typically don't use DVD decrypter because it is mostly unnecessary,
DVD shrink does a fine job of reading the source DVD and then pushing
out either the files for DVD burning or burning straight ot your
target media.

on the topic of DVD (?) R, + is the newer format, and is readable by
computers, and only readable by the most newere DVD players... 2003
and forward this media has been known to be tempermental by brand of
media.  DVD-R has been extreamly flexiable as far as compatibility.
It plays back on some of the most tempermental DVD products such as
Sony DVD palyers, Hitachi, and Sony PS2.  all have playedback a movie
for this media type of any brand, I mean any, I've tried, high end,
fast speed (for my burner 4x) and cheap-o 1x as well

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:16:07 -0400, Mitsules, Mark S. (Newport News)
<mark.mitsules at ngc.com> wrote:
> My thoughts on fair use have been aired before so I do not feel guilty
> providing this information.
>
> Here's my quick and dirty tutorial for copy-protected DVDs:
>
> 1. Rip the DVD to an .iso image using DVD Decrypter.  This removes all copy
> protection and region codes.  You must have an OS capable of handling file
> sizes >4Gb.  This means Windows NT, 2000, or XP.
>
> 2. I use Daemon Tools as an optical drive emulator to "mount" .iso images as
> a drive.
>
> 3. Open the image using DVD Shrink.  It would be difficult to describe all
> the options entirely, but you are mainly concerned with either backing up
> the entire disc, or re-authoring the DVD with only the items you select
> (i.e. main movie, wide-screen version only).  DVD Shrink integrates with
> Nero allowing you to burn directly to a blank DVD.  If you don't have Nero
> you can create another .iso image and burn with DVD Decrypter.
>
> Caveats when backing up a DVD:  DVD burners and associated media come in two
> primary flavors, DVD+R and DVD-R.  Computers can read either.  Stand-alone
> DVD players can be temperamental...which formats they will read and even
> regarding brands of media.
>

> Mark

-Francisco
http://ft316db.VOTEorNOT.org