[dba-Tech] Empty folders

Drew Wutka dbatech at wolfwares.com
Thu Sep 23 11:39:43 CDT 2004

Sort of, the key difference is the 'spawning'.  A loop just runs over and
over.  But each loop starts and ends, before the next one.

In a recursive function, you are creating 'child' processes that have to
start and finish before their parent can finish.

For instance, take a function that runs through the files and folders on
your machine:

Call1 (to C:\ -- runs all files, and calls itself for all folders
Call2 (to C:\WINNT\ -- same, but Call1 hasn't finished yet, because it
called Call2)
Call3 (to C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\ -- now call 2 and 1 are still 'open', and this
call is 'holding them')
Call4 (to C:\WINNT\TEMP\)
Call30 (to C:\WINNT\XYZ\ when this completes, all 'parent' calls can be
closed, because it's the last folder to be hit, so now the function in Call1
can continue, which may produce another 'tree' of function calls)

Does that make sense?

Drew