[dba-Tech] Child's play

Kath Pelletti KP at sdsonline.net
Tue Sep 28 20:51:42 CDT 2004

Andy - I have installed Norton Internet Security for my kids' PC (ages 5, 9,11). The initial cost was about $AUD110, but on renewal it was half that for the subsequent year subscription.

We have found it brilliant and very easy to use - you just set up a default user (one of the kids) and the default settings of child / teen / adult are very good. My kids are mad on NeoPets which Norton mysteriously blocked - and I had to adjust a 'privacy' setting to allow that site through - that's the only tweaking I've done.

I did try some freeware such as 'We Blocker' which was OK but not as good, because Norton is so robust. That's my top pick. When we used We Blocker we felt like Nazi parents because it overblocked sites and they got really frustrated. Norton's blocking goes almost entirely unnoticed to the kids - they would only notice it if they specifically tried to do what your friend's kids did.

The only worry we found for the kids was that on their PC we allow them to use Kazaa Lite (don't shoot me.....- my oldest son and friends want to download music). I know that it is Spyware etc etc but I can wipe the disk clean every couple of years if I need to - their PC is theirs alone.

Anyway, I noticed that despite having Norton Internet Security installed you can actually download *anything* - the kids got quite a surprise when they actually downloaded an X-rated Simpsons video!! So that program also has a menu setting to block violence / porn etc. which is password protected.

Norton Int Security includes Norton antivirus which is a pretty good deal.

HTH

Kath