[dba-Tech] Child's play

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Wed Sep 29 08:43:41 CDT 2004

You can set NIS to specifically block or allow URLs via the Firewall and via
the intrusion detection components in addition to the Parental Control. That
would probably be my biggest gripe about NIS. They have a "configure" dialog
for each of these items and then an "options" dialog for each of these
items. They should be combined.

Have you tried to manually configure the firewall's permissions for the
browser? Or you could go into the firewall configuration and remove the
browser from the list and then let it prompt you for settings when you try
to access the web.

The other thing you might want to check is if there are other firewalls, AV,
etc on the PC. I have found numerous brands on some of home PCs I've worked
on. I guess when some people don't know what to do they just do everything!
Removing these usually cleared up the vast majority of their problems. (I
still think these companies screw with each other's applications-ala
Netscape/IE in the 90s.)