[dba-Tech] FYI: Friday technical reading: Hitting the highnotes...

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Sat Aug 6 08:37:01 CDT 2005

Thank you Arthur!
I must say I have a few friends as talented as you are and your opinion is
very important for me!

> But I think that in at least a couple of areas you have made some
> serious errors in your analysis, my friend Shamil.
But , I didn't get what are these serious mistakes - probably I'm not that
smart as you think I'm! :)

> 1. Young kids come out of school full of hormones...
I think I still have some hormones :) - I have my own four years old kid and
I like to play with him in spare time :) And two elder kids are 19 and 17
years old - yes, I think I have saved some hormones despite all that
troubles of living in the past in totalitarian country and despite all that
troubles, which  wild capitalism brought  here etc.

>... and enthusiasm
I'm still enthusiastic (well, I know what burn-out is, I know it well too) -
I must say I'm surprised where I do get the strength for this enthusiasm -
probably communistic education creates some very strong foundations for
groundless(?) enthusiasm, which can't be spoiled by wild capitalism :) Maybe
this is just a "thirst to live", which can't be broken nor by communism nor
by wild capitalism...

And I'm still able to write as much code as I was able to write when I was
25 years old and even more and I do think I know 100+ times more now(well,
maybe 20+ times more only - 1 time more for every year of my programming
experience ) and I do less mistakes and based on my experience I can
generate a lot of code and docs and specs and designs where most of
the young people have to type all that manually or have nothing to propose
or will not do it the right way from the first time because they still to
find/to
learn about all the tips&tricks I know about from my experience...

> The point being, Shamil, that nothing NOTHING beats experience.
Yes,  I agree, and I do think the same and I do try to prove/approve that by
my work but I have seen a lot of people(/high level managers) who are
hunting for miracles and who think that "low priced programmers can create
good high priced software products" - I often see the opposite - still "the
army of the free cheese hunters" is growing as far as I see: real life
example - Alcatel programming center here  - I did talk to their chief
technical manager (French man) last autumn - it's just so ridiculous what I
have heard - the key technical position of this company's software branch
here, with a lot of responsibilities - the proposed salary wasn't enough to
keep well my family (and by keeping well, I'm not mentioning a salary
letting me to buy a good new car, or to go on good vacation twice a year for
two weeks or getting bank credit for the good home - but the salary they
proposed was just to balance on zero level provided I have already where to
live with my family - and even for the young people - the salary they
propose ISN'T enough to get bank credit to buy a small flat here- what is
that if not abuse and hunting for miracles? I don' believe they can make
something good, I can be wrong of course, but as far as I get this is a
shame on the West to pay not good enough for (at least) the key company's
job positions if this company pretends to be respectful by its own employees
and by their customers...

> From a manager's point of view (not that I am always in that role, but
that
> is beside the point), my most important priority is "Get it Done."
> Additional priorities include "On Time" and "On Budget".
Yes, I know this "mantra": make me this I don't know yet what I want you to
make me but do it on fixed time and budget - usual story there too, isn't?
Of course I'm always trying to get work done on time and on agreed upon
budget - but in programming the expected in the beginning project duration
is a "mythical" value and have to be constantly corrected(usually enlarged)
as the most experienced in this industry authors write...

> And there is one more thing. If your clients reside in St. Petersburg then
> you can face-to-face them, which someone in Beijing or Athens or Cairo
> cannot do, at least not as inexpensively.
Arthur, this isn't generally true, I think.
The problem is the lack of experience and will - on your (West) side of the
World there are a few people willing to work with professionals living on
East here based on reasonable not "dirt cheap" rates. I know there is no
probably still high/any economical need on your side to work this way on a
broad range. And meanwhile all kinds of "abusers" fill this niche and when
eastern programmers don't have any other opportunity they have to go dumping
"dirt cheap" just to survive physically (is there any need/sense in this
physical survival - let's leave this question out of this technical
discussion)...
I do know it can be profitable and mutually advantageous this overseas
"virtual face-to-face" work based on reasonable rates. I have my own
experience of this work (when I have this work) - I see such examples on
RentACoder - there are people(coders) from States and Canada and West Europe
there who do work based on good rates but when somebody from Russia, or
Romania or other East countries bid there - the customers - imagine that! -
they say/advise you you should prove you can do work and you should start
"dirt cheap" - experience doesn't matter there when you start  without a
track of records of the work on RentACoder and if you are from East
countries - what is that is not spoiled by "dirt cheap"  programmers
customers?... Well, I did break a little this general opinion - I did start
from scratch there and I did get a project for USD777 for expected one week
of work(not bad for starters there) in the area where I didn't have almost
any experience and I did make it. Of course in the end the rate wasn't high
because the worktime was underevaluated as usual. But this work allowed me
to get experience in the area where I didn't have almost any and I was paid
for that! Not bad after all. And as customer said me I overbid competing
lower bids like USD500 because I did explain what and how I will do and
asked right questions - and that all in the area where I didn't have
experience - so all that bidding and asking was based on intuition and
experience from other areas...

I do hope that RentACoder will let me to find real customers ready to work
based on reasonable moderate rates because this will open them new
opportunities and it will bring them good profit and it will let me to not
feel abused, do very good work for them and to keep my family well without
leaving this wonderland Russia. Meanwhile I keep RentACoder as a good
"training center" reserve where I can get new experience working on real
life projects and where I will be paid for my getting this new
experience....

And there is rather high rates based growing local programming market here -
the rates are as high as USD800/day company to company or even higher as far
as I have heard from real sources. But this market as many markets here is
corrupted - I do keep trying to enter it proposing good work against
corruption and generally bad attitude to programmers - I did make this
attempt last month - if I will get all the money, which I did claim for this
project(reasonable rates not as high as USD800/day(yet) of course) and if
this work will have continuation - then it will be another proof of what you
say that "NOTHING beats experience." even corruption...

Shamil