[dba-Tech] The Three Doors Problem

Billy Pang tuxedo_man at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 26 14:20:48 CDT 2005

this three doors problem reminds me of this year's NHL (National Hockey
League) entry draft.  Every year, an entry draft is held for the 30 teams to
draft young players for their team.  Every player is ranked and this year,
the top ranked player (Sydney Crosby) is considered the next "great one".
The team who gets first pick at the entry draft will pick Mr. Crosby for
sure (in a sense, it would be like winning the lottery).

Ok, long story short, they decided to use the "ping pong" method of
determining which teams gets to go first.  every team either gets one, two
or three ping pong balls in the pool.  there are 30 teams.  Because the
first ping pong ball selected gets first pick in the entry draft, the teams
with three ping pong balls have a greater chance of getting the coveted
first pick than the other teams with only two or one ping pong ball.  I
watched the draft live as it took place.  To increase drama, they select the
ping pong balls behind closed doors to determine the order of the thiry
teams; then they come out and reveal the order in reverse (starting with 30,
29, 28, etc...); however, i realized that if they pick the ping pong balls
in reverse order (ie. first ball they picked is 30th pick), the teams with
three ping pong balls would no longer be favorites because they have a
greater chance of being selected.  In a sense, this situation is similiar
but not exactly the same as the three doors problem.

in the beginning, when you ave three doors to choose from, you have 33.3% of
winning or 66.7% of losing.  you either win or don't win, there is no
in-between.  therefore if you pick door A, you have 33% of winning.  another
of way saying it is, if you don't pick door A, you have 66.7% of winning
(note the difference between this sentence and first sentence of this
paragraph). yes, if you picture the other two doors as a group of doors and
the host reveals to you that one of those doors does not have the winning
prize, the group of doors still has 66.7% of winning but now the host has
taken out a door in question for you and therefore the other door has 66.7%
chance of winning (since the door just opened by the host has 0% chance of
winning; 0% + 66.7% = 66.7%)

I'm not sure if i am explaining it correctly.  I can see reasons for both
why you should swap and why you should not swap.  the difference lies in on
the level where you calculate the probabililty of winning.

Billy