[dba-Tech] Manually eject CD from a drive without a tray

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Mon Aug 29 13:30:17 CDT 2005

I took the dive and was pleasantly surprised. Although it was one of the old
proprietary Compaqs, the CD Drive came out in a flash. I took the face plate
off of it, hooked it up to my USB - ATA adapter and ejected it. Still didn't
come out so I got a couple of plastic cards ready to coax it out and that
frightened it so much that it ejected without the need to probe ;o)

The CD disk had the slightest warp to it.

However, when I was taking the face plate off I noticed a lot of little
scratches and gouges in the plastic so this apparently has been a problem in
the past.

Makes me wonder how many Macs don't want to give up their CDs since they
tend to use these slotted CD/DVD drives rather than the trays...