[dba-Tech] Windows Explorer Find replacement

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 13:31:34 CST 2005

On 12/8/05, MartyConnelly <martyconnelly at shaw.ca> wrote:
> I use Google's Desktop Search Engine. It takes about 12 hours to index a
> full 20 gig drive.
> Once done, searches are generally less than 5 seconds.
> It only indexes to a depth of 5000 characters in a file unless
> additional plugins used
> You can search in only specific files by adding to the search string
> filetype:doc to look at only word documents.
> A plus is it also searchs your IE favourite URL's and whatever is in the
> IE cache.
>
> I have used the find function only a couple of times in past year.

I personally love it when I need to search text based documents.

I have google search on my development machine, and it's pretty
accurate when I need to dig up a 3rd-party header file or such that I
remember downloading at one time, but forgot where I put it.

Granted, it does have a long initial indexing time, but after that
it's well worth it (and Office does indexing in the background like it
does anyways, so I just disable that and no performance decrease.)
--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein