[dba-Tech] keylogger ?

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Jan 1 17:26:33 CST 2005

On 1 Jan 2005 at 22:16, Mike Tope wrote:

> Thanks John.
> No "parental oversight" spyware has been deliberately installed here. We
> keep the pc in the living room but after that it's just trust.
>
> I think Spybot recognised the keylogger the first time, and claimed to have
> to have fixed it but I had to delete the files myself. This time, maybe
> because it wasn't running, Spybot didn't see it at all.
>
> What I have in mind now is a scheduled daily and on-startup batch file that
> looks for the executable and deletes it - or screams if it can't delete it
> because it's in use. But that wouldn't be as good as finding out how it gets
> in and blocking it there.
>
> Their website is proud of the keylogger's remote and silent installation
> method but it boils down to piggy-backing on another program's
> installation - and everyone here denies installing anything lately. Makes me
> wonder if this isn't a general random probe and may be a specific attack.
> But it's the unregistered version claiming to have 3 days for evaluation
> that shows up, and surely that's too stupid.

What version of the program is it. If you look at the News panel on their
website, the version number will give you a good indication of how old it
is (and by inference, roughly when the trial version was installed).

How old are your kids? What are the chances of one of them deliberately
downloading and installing the keylogger (just to see what everyone else is
doing on the PC <g>)?

--
Stuart