[dba-Tech] Laptop should run faster

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jan 2 13:02:12 CST 2005

First thing to do is go get a 7200 rpm drive.  I am serious Rocky.  Laptops
come with 4200 rpm drives and they suck for access speeds.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-146-020&depa=0

Get a usb port connected shell that holds the hard drive (the form factor is
important here, laptop hds are smaller).  Then attach the new drive to your
laptop.  Ghost the contents out to the new drive.  Swap the internal with
the new one.  It took me about 1 hour (plus the transfer time of the ghost
operation), dead simple to do.

After that get a 1gb dim.  I bought this one for my EMachines:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4158153

My laptop now performs like it should.

http://folding.stanford.edu/