[dba-Tech] Laptop should run faster

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 08:27:58 CST 2005

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 09:12:00 -0500, John W. Colby
<jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:
> 512 mb should indeed be enough.  Unfortunately it just isn't anymore.  I
> haven't figured out exactly why but WinXP just sucks up memory.  As an
> example right now I have open WinXP, Outlook and Firefox with a single tab.
> Of course I have Norton AV and Sygate firewall as well (this is my laptop).
> Oh, and Folding at Home is loaded and processing a large work unit (100mb),
> Yahoo and Messenger (which I don't use much but can't seem to get rid of).

I don't know about that John. Maybe it's the 64bit chip.

I've got an Athlon 1.4 GHz with 256MB RAM and it's fine with XPP SP2.
I usually have Firefox with 10 tabs or so, Pegasus Mail, iTunes or
WinAmp playing MP3s, MSN Messenger, Zone Alarm, eTrust AV, a
keylogger, Apache, MySQL all running at the same time.

The only time that I have found that I want/need more memory is when I
was trying to create/edit a video made from stills.But even then,
performace was acceptable.

Maybe it's because this is a desktop PC and not a laptop, but for me
256 is enough.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"