[dba-Tech] Software Firewalls

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Mon Jan 3 12:02:30 CST 2005

Francisco,
Here's the specs for business workstations I've been having my clients buy
lately. I have them assembled, setup and tested at a local shop. They really
put my P4 2.4Ghz, 512MB RAM, SCSI system to shame. I think the SATA drives
make a big difference. I had been spec'ing 80GB SATA's but the 120 are only
$10 more so I've been going with that for awhile now.

XP pro
ASUS K8 MainBoard
Athlon64 3200 CPU
450 Watt PS
512MB RAM
80-120 GB Western Digital SATA HD
Radeon 9600, 128MB AGP Video
CD/DVD read/write
3.5" diskette drive
10/100MB Ethernet
2/4 USB ports
1 Firewire port
17" Samsung 793 monitor

Note: The UPSs for these systems is a bit more costly because of the power
needs but I believe down the road it will have been worth it for them. In
the bigger shops they don't all get the RW drives cause they don't need 'em.
The video card is overkill for most people but at the cost I'm getting them
it just doesn't matter. For higher needs stations I bulk up the RAM.

John B.