[dba-Tech] wXP virtual memory question

Jon Tydda Jon.Tydda at alcontrol.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 07:43:23 CST 2005

Arthur

1: right click on the "My computer" icon on the desktop and go to
properties. Then select the advanced tab. On there is a button marked
performance, click on that. This should now bring up a page with a white box
at the top listing your drives, and some numbers next to them, telling you
how much space is used on each drive for the virtual memory. Select the
drive you want it to be on, and in the two boxes below type the SAME number
(I usually use 2048). This means that your performance won't increase or
decrease due to page file resizing. Then select the old drive, and delete
the numbers.

2: When I did part of my MCSE course they said that it was a myth - surely
someone with 64mb of ram would need a bigger page file than someone with 1gb
- I tend touse 1gb or 2gb for my pagefile on pc's I set up, depending on the
size of the hard drive.

3: That's the space reserved for saving the data on your pc when it goes
into hibernate mode... this mode is a PITA, as it mostly tends to crash the
pc or laptop. In power management, you can deactivate hibernate mode and
you'll get all that room back.

Jon