[dba-Tech] Workstation identification

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Jan 16 15:12:44 CST 2005

Hi Steve

You can save all kinds of info but the question must be when and how
you would use it later and if you will be able to track it down if
needed - not very likely. In my opinion hardware type of info is useful
only for debugging errors.

If your system is secured by login and authentication, the userid and a
timestamp should be all that is needed.

/gustav

>>> erbachs at gmail.com 16-01-2005 21:47:53 >>>
Dear Group,

In the .NET application that I'm struggling through, my client has
mentioned the desirability of knowing just who has changed any record
in the system. Of course, there's a user login, but it struck me that
it would be useful to know which workstation made a change to the
database.

I see that PCPitstop.com and Belarc Advisor both the private LAN's IP
address and the external IP address. There's the MAC address, too.
Machine name in Windows, hard drive serial number, etc.

Do any of you use any of this information to identify people that log
in to your applications via the Internet? If so, what do you use? How
do you go about, say, getting the serial number of a hard disk?

--
Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing