[dba-Tech] I want one - now!

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Jan 21 23:13:46 CST 2005

Uhhh... A url to get at the article?

http://folding.stanford.edu/

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Stuart McLachlan
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 7:11 PM
To: Discussion of Hardware and Software issues
Subject: [dba-Tech] I want one - now!

How about super computing on your desktop for a couple of hundred
dollars?  Looks like this is what is coming from the Cell processors
that Sony/Toshiba/IBM are working on.   Looks like the future of
computers is still rosey but may not be Intel.

I do recommend you read the whole thing.  The author is doing a good
job of boiling it down for the less technical types.

-------------------------Quote---------------------------------
The Cell architecture is essentially a general purpose PowerPC CPU
with a set of 8 very high performance vector processors and a fast
memory and I / O system, this is coupled with a very clever task
distribution system which allows ad-hoc clusters to be set up.

What is not immediately apparent is the aggressiveness of the
design. The lack of cache and runtime virtual memory system is
highly unusual and has not done on any modern general purpose CPU in
the last 20 years. It can only be compared with the sorts of designs
Seymour Cray produced. The Cell is not only going to be very fast,
but because of the highly aggressive design the rest of the industry
is going to have a very hard time catching up with it*.

To sum up there's really only one way of saying it:

This system isn't just going to rock, it's going to play German
heavy metal.

--
Stuart