[dba-Tech] A net-admin level question

Jon Tydda jon at tydda.plus.com
Fri Jan 28 21:15:24 CST 2005

Yes there is - we use login scripts at work to assign mapped drives and the
like, if you go to the server and look at user manager (in NT4, not sure
where it is in later versions) and in the profile page of the users
properties, there's a space there for "script". Ours are all called
"_username.bat" and are placed in c:\winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts.
When you've made them, you should take a copy and paste it in
c:\winnt\system32\repl\export\scripts on the same server, and if you have
replication set up on the netwoek (assuming more than one server) copy them
into the same folders on another server. At least that's how it works for
us. Doubtless there's a better way to do it in 2k server or 2003 but they
haven't let me play with one yet... Probably Active Directory I would think.

Our scripts use old DOS commands to map drives, ie
NET USE I:\ "\\alcuxb\book$" %PERSIST%
(I think I have the syntax correct, if not, run cmd and type net /? and
it'll tell you).

Not sure how it'll help you "interrogate" the users though, what are you
trying to do?

Jon