[dba-Tech] Dearly Departed Databases (R.I.P.)

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Mon Jul 18 05:34:32 CDT 2005

<<<
in particular with reference to Codysyl,

The main CODASYL proposals based system for mainframes was IDMS (on the
West).
Was it ported to PC?
dbVista (Raima Data Manager) is also known as based on CODASYL proposals..

Here in Russia (Soviet Union) in ancient now times of 80ies I worked in a
team,
which developed CODASYL proposals based DBMSs:
first for IBM 360/370, then for PDP11 and then for IBM PC.
The version for IBM370 was tested against IDMS and it was better/comparable
in the speed etc.
These all were success story projects, the application systems using these
DBMSe were developed and used in exUSSR but then Perestroyka-Glasnost came
and all that went nowhere because of economical chaos and uncertainty about
the future...

Shamil