[dba-Tech] LNE100TX problem

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 16:35:51 CDT 2005

Dear Group,

I'm helping a client clean up his home PC. Had to restore the original
emachines CDs.

His emachines PC did NOT have a NIC. So I installed an old Linksys
LNE100TX card that I've had for 4 years or so. Never opened.

Windows XP Home (SP2) shows that the device is working properly but
that "network cable unplugged." I've tried three or four cables. That,
of course, isn't the problem.

I note that the two lights on the card itself are not lit. Might I be
dealing with a dead card but Windows thinks it's OK?

I'm going to try swapping the position of the card with the modem
that's installed in the first PCI slot. That may be simple
superstition, but in the past on older machines I've used the rule of
"Install the NIC as close to the power supply as you can.

Any ideas?

It's a 900 MHz Celeron w/128 MB of RAM. I've upgraded it to XP Service
Pack 2, though I haven't been able to get on-line yet to upgrade
Windows any further. This PC had been connected to the Internet via
the modem only up until my attempts to use my LAN and cable modem.

--
Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing