[dba-Tech] Fw: Open File Dialog Box Call Fails

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Jun 22 15:49:28 CDT 2005

On 22 Jun 2005 at 8:06, Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software wrote:

> I haven't worked on the app for several months and it's been very stable until a couple of weeks
> ago when this call began to fail with no error message.  Just didn't open the dialog box.  Then
> it failed on another computer.  Then on another one.  Now no computer in his place runs this
> api.

With that sort of progressive failure, I'd suspect something spreading
through his network like a virus of trojan.

> If we try to drop the common dialog control onto a form in design view from
> the additional tools list in the toolbox we get a message that says the OLE
> server isn't registered.

That's different, you are using the OCX there which requires registration.
That's one of the advantages of using the API and DLLS - no registration
required when you put your app on another machine.

Check the date, size and version info of comdlg32.dll on the machines and
replace if necessary. Also search the computer for more than one
copy/version of this dll.
--
Stuart