[dba-Tech] Access Performance on a WAN

Joseph O'Connell joconnell at indy.rr.com
Mon Mar 7 13:32:35 CST 2005

Dan,

Here are some other considerations when running over a LAN.

How big is the database?  Irrespective of where the FE is stored, all
processing takes place on the local PC.  Inquiries of large amounts of data
could result in massive amounts of data being passed over the connection to
be processed locally.

How is the application structured?  Does it use bound forms or unbound
forms?

If there are multiple locations accessing the database simultaneously, do
they each have a 1.5Gb upload pipe to the file server?  Does the file server
have a 1.5 Gb download pipe to each location, or will all locations be
sharing the 1.5Gb line?

Running a test should give you an indication of potential problem areas.  If
there are problems, here are 2 solutions.

1. Convert the FE to an ASP application and run it over a web connection.

2. Host both the FE and BE in a Terminal Server environment.  If your
customer does not have this capability, there are commercial services that
only charge about $30 per month per location.

Joe O'Connell