[dba-Tech] WinPatrol upgrade troubles

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:47:16 CST 2005

Dear Group,

I have been using WinPatrol Plus v. 8 for quite a while and now I've
downloaded the upgrade to v. 9. But when I use Run to execute Wpsetup,
I get the following message:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
16 bit Windows subsystem (that's in the title bar)
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application.

Close    Ignore (two buttons)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm running WinXP SP2 with 1 GB of RAM on an Athlon 64 system.

I see this message in one other situation: I run an old 2-user
calendar/to-do list program called Day-Timer 2000. I see the exact
same message as above and click Ignore. Then Day-Timer starts up and
runs normally.

I tried renaming the CONFIG.NT file to CONFIG.NTX in both the System32
and Repair folders (the two places that file is located). The message
still appears. I tried un-installing WinPatrol completely. Now I can't
re-install it while I still get the message. Bummer.

I've checked the System Event Log: it's an informational item. When I
click the link to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp, I get a
dialog box with a bit more info. The File Name is ntdll.dll. The
Source is Application Popup. The Event ID is 26.

I went to EventID.net (I subscribe to this service) and found the
exact text of the error message but completely irrelevant information.

I tried logging in as Administrator and running the installation and
got the same error.

Anyone seen anything like this?
--
Regards,