[dba-Tech] Cray (was: A petition for the development of unmanaged VBandVBA...)

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 17 11:41:48 CST 2005

This Cray version came out 1990 -1992
I have used for quick access to a Fortran 77 compiler.

Well you could bug Martin. There is one at Queen's University Belfast
Parallel Computer Centre

Here are course notes on its use from Queen's U
CRAY Y-MP EL Vector Processing and Performance Utilities
Student Notes
http://www.pcc.qub.ac.uk/tec/courses/cray/stu-notes/cray-stu.html

The last time I used it for any length of time was on a contract was to
convert Fortran code that did stress analysis
on icebreaker hull design  from a Cray to an IBM 390. Come to think of
it the naval architect
I worked with was Finnish and worked on the Russian icebreaker fleet in
the '70's.

Vector processing  dumps the all or part of the Array KK and LL into a
vector register and adds the two registers
rather than doing it in a scalar fashion one by one iteration. Hence the
speed.
DO 10 I = 1, 3
JJ(I) = KK(I)+LL(I)
10 CONTINUE

A book on Fortran Vectorization issues on parallel-vector processors
Cray documentation books are scarce.

  A Guidebook to Fortran on Supercomputers
    John Levesque   Academic Press 1989  0-12-444760-0

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.