[dba-Tech] I couldn't help myself

Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software bchacc at san.rr.com
Sun Mar 20 11:30:58 CST 2005

Dell, which is always looking out for my best interests, invited me to buy a cheap computer.  It would only have been polite to accept.  So it's on the way.

But there's a couple of specs I don't understand - maybe someone could enlighten me:

1) 3GHz P4 with HT Technology (800 FSB)  - what's HT technology?  What are FSBs and why do I need 800 of them?

2) 1/2 gig memory dual channel - dual's got to be better than single, yes?  400 MHz DDR SDRAM.  I've looked into memory specs and decided to learn dead languages instead because it's easier.  Explaining this may be beyond the scope of an email.  'It's good - You don't really need to know more' is a legitimate answer

Anyway with a 48x CD/RW, 24 bit SB sound card, keyboard, mouse, no monitor and a bunch of software which you never use it was $408 plus tax - free shipping.  I have been promising the boys to replace their old 192MB Celeron processor, so I have a flimsy rationalization.

How could I refuse?

TIA

Rocky