[dba-Tech] Compromised Internet Explorer?

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Thu May 5 19:31:04 CDT 2005

John,

Since I posted that message I've dinked with this system some more. My
money is now on the possibility that my wife's friend has an
unauthorized copy of XP. The Windows CD she gave me was a copy and the
25-digit key was written on it. She said she got it from an IT friend
of hers.

I use Norton Ghost on my C: drive to back up the entire thing to my D:
drive on a regular basis. I was curious to know if I could just swap
the cables, reset the jumpers, and boot up with the Ghosted drive. But
Windows detected that it was a different hard disk and wouldn't let me
start up at all. This situation is different, but I wonder if it isn't
because of the copied Windows XP.

I will certainly try your suggestion of downloading the necessary
updates on another PC and burning them to CD.

You know, there was one other odd behavior I noticed. Yesterday I
thought, well, maybe IE is infected somehow. I couldn't find a way to
un-install it from the list of installed software. So I thought I'd
try renaming the EXE file. I did so; but a few seconds later the
program re-appeared in the program folder before my very eyes. It's
dated sometime in August of last year. I deleted the new copy of
IE...but a few seconds later, there it reappeared again. Is that
normal?

Thanks, John.

Steve Erbach