[dba-Tech] Word Tables and Bookmarks Question

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Thu May 19 16:45:56 CDT 2005

I haven't tried to do this before, but before I begin I thought I'd run
the question past this most esteemed group.

Assume a Word template (.dot) containing a table. This table contains
bookmarks which are filled from an Access app using code that finds the
bookmarks and stuffs text into them.

This works fine for individual bookmarks, but what if the table has
multiple rows. How do I distinguish them? Often the query in Access will
return only one row, but sometimes it might return say 10 rows. Then
what do I do? Am I going about this in completely the wrong way, using
bookmarks? Should I be thinking of a completely other approach, such as,
I don't know, maybe embedding an Excel sheet in place of the table and
drawing the data from SQL into the sheet first?

Perhaps I should mention that the whole reason for doing this is that
the document must be saved to a unique name and be editable. So I start
with a Word template, programmatically create the document, then offer
the user the option to edit the document or save it for editing later
on. The client ideally would like to do the data entry, have the app
create the document at once, make the usual edits, save and print it,
and give it to the client on the spot.

TIA for your suggestions,
Arthur