[dba-Tech] Antivirus Software - Who do we like, who do we not like?

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Wed May 25 14:45:15 CDT 2005

Gary,

Some while back I abandoned Norton (I think it was about the time their
live update got infected, thus infecting several thousands of their
customers).  I abandoned McAfee over price issues and the tendency to
install stuff I really didn't want.  For the last three years I have
been using F-Prot (dumb name, I know) by a fellow named Frisk in
Reykjavick, Iceland (now Frisk International Software).  I buy a
10-computer license every year, keep it updated by checking regularly
(can have it set to do that automatically, but - hey, I prefer a stick
shift to an automatic, too).  I first heard of it while researching how
to properly disinfect a pc - somebody (could have been on this list)
mentioned the best site he had ever seen on straightforward instructions
for just about any infection (um, if I can find that link I'll post it
later) - I went there, printed out the instructions, learned of F-Prot
and went looking.  The program is easy to use, has a clean simple
interface, and works very well - without insisting on running everything
for me.

There - my 2 cents' worth,

Tina