[dba-Tech] Antivirus Software - Who do we like, who do we notlike?

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed May 25 17:20:36 CDT 2005

On 5/25/05, Jon Tydda <jon at tydda.plus.com> wrote:
> Yeah, to prove it, I've just run trojan hunter and trend micro's sysclean
> (just to check for myself too) and they've both come up clean.
>

> Jon

It's the typical YMMV.  I remember McAfee from back in the days of
Network Associates and having it run a typical boot scan before win
3.1 would even boot up... But even tho here at work we went from NAV
to McAfee 4.6 and now we're up to 8, I continue to find that many
people's machines continue to get infected reguardless... and From my
own experiance a Full Disk Scan is not a full disk scan.. I run a
defrag software called dirms which moves all fragmented files on the
disk... often times the McAfee onAccess will fire off because the
dirms software is attempting to defrag a trojan file on the disk.
McAfee should have caught this file at the gate and prevented it from
ever loading... I'm much more secure now-a-days.. ie, running IE only
when absoutly necessary. I keep a firewall on my pc at all times.
Here at work whenever someone would be caught w/ a virus I
automatically went to TrendMicro's HouseCall.. now that I'm Trying out
NOD32, it IS a great product. it's lightweight, scan your entire disk,
has an internet/ms document/onaccess monitor... scheduler etc.

--
-Francisco
http://pcthis.blogspot.com |PC news with out the jargon!