[dba-Tech] Password Manager

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 8 12:40:54 CST 2005

The easiest way is to use the Windows Transfer Files Wizard.
For IE, it is notated under AutoComplete. For Netscape, it is known as
Password Manager

However the more complex way not for the feint of heart. I have never
attempted this.
They are stored in the Protected Storage registry key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider\<SID>

<SID> varies, and by default you don't have access to the sub-keys named
"Data", "Data2" and/or more, but you can give yourself full permissions
to the <SID> key and it's sub-keys. One of the branch beneath contains
the Autocomplete/username/password data and you can export them to REG
files if you want. If you are going to merge the data to another
profile, note that the <SID> will be different in that profile. Some
modifications to the REG file may be necessary.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.