[dba-Tech] Accessing a pc

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 16 12:42:13 CST 2005

http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#
look for I forgot my Windows logon password and can't log in. How do I
reset it? <http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#password>

Manually renaming the SAM files at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM and
C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SAM should also reset the local Administrator password
to blank and would also probably delete all other local accounts which
you had created on your computer
Problamatic to change on NFTS files without the proper boot CD

However I would create a copy of BARTPE  from Bart Lagerweij.
You need to create boot disk with a  legitimate OS.

In fact I would give a copy to your network guys to use as a  Data
Recovery Tool/
BartPE lets you set or reset the Admin password anyway.

Article and screenshots

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=167100904

Download Site
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

 It's a self-contained, CD-based "live" copy of Windows XP.
Like the popular "live CD" versions of Linux (like Knoppix), it runs
entirely from a CD-ROM without installing anything on or making any
changes to a system's hard drive. That's right: "BartPE" lets you create
a version of XP that you can boot and run on just about any PC without
altering or installing anything on the system itself. The CD-based
version is completely self-contained--- you can think of it as a zero-
footprint installation of XP--- and yet, as Bart says, it's "...a
complete Win32 environment with network support, a graphical user
interface (800x600) and FAT/NTFS/CDFS file system support. Very handy for
burn-in testing systems with no OS, rescuing files to a network share,
virus scan and so on.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.