[dba-Tech] Redirect to GMail

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 12:06:52 CDT 2005

Josh McFarlane wrote:

 >> Follow the money. Some of that cash goes back to Google, doesn't it?

 >Not from the sale of the product, but only from advertising on Google.

Exactly.

 >> The question concerned email, not surfing. I'd use such a company for
 >> email only in an emergency & preferably not at all.

 >If your idealogy on this is that you're no safer with Hotmail than
 >Gmail, then I can see what you're thinking.

Good. If Hotmail harvests its email archives for advertisers, it's as
undesirable as Gmail.

 >If you're trying to claim Gmail is worse then other
 >web-based email providers, well, what's some proof?

Depends on whether the provider keeps the archives forever and mines
them for advertisers.

 >> That misses the pont entirely. Trust of due process in western
 >> democracies is arguably rational. But Google operates worldwide. Do you
 >> trust due process in China, Nigeria, Iran?

 >Same could be claimed of Rogers. The web is worldwide. If the company
 >is based out of the US ...

What does being based in or out of the US have to do with anything?

 >... but Nigeria has an ongoing investigation, and
 >requests information, the company will have to deal with it.

Only if the provider has a server in Nigeria, or China &c.

 >Whether
 >that means handing over the information or letting the US government
 >decide how to handle the issue, something would still have to be done,
 >regardless of whether it's Google or Rogers. Also, nothing is saying
 >that Google is going to hand over all of this information everytime
 >foreign governments ask for it. Once again however, they are also not
 >the only free-email provider that is multinational. Microsoft and
 >Yahoo also both deal with overseas companies.

Yahoo's behaviour in China is a good argument for avoiding Yahoo email.

PB