[dba-Tech] Windows Small Business Server

Lembit Soobik lembit.dbamail at t-online.de
Sat Aug 5 05:26:54 CDT 2006

John,

for backup I have bought a small NAS system named evSerNAS 660i. It is in a
very small desktop like case and runs RAID 5 with 6 x 300GB disks (one is a
hot spare). total 1.14 TB.

as for the mirror system, that of course protects oly from disk failures,
not when your win screws up.
in such case you want to have a drive image and something to start your PC
without the damaged partition, which is not easy, since on the mirror system
you need to load the driver for the mirror plus the network drivers to get
access to both, your system and the backup image.
the Bart-pe which Gustav mentions is one way (which I still have to set up)
another way is to use the resue disk of the drive image program, but there
is again the problem with the drivers, and then there is this Langa Letter
"XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total Rebuild Option"  which lets you
repair WinXP without need to reinstall the programs, well sometimes at
least.
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

Lembit